Founder & Tour Guide of Italia Sweet Italia
Founder & Tour Guide of Italia Sweet Italia
Join us on a 7-day unique Italian sustainable and cultural escorted tour to visit one of the most stunning Italian regions: Le Marche.
This tour is geared to those who want to live, an immersive Italian culture experiencing “Marchigiana” culture and traditions, and, who want to get to know the food, region and its people. Our hosts and local guides, together with their friends, have put together amazing experiences that combine passion, beautiful places, eco-friendly visits to show you the best of Le Marche by putting you in touch with local communities.
This is a fully escorted tour that will give you the insights into daily life, culture, food, and wine production and will let you discover authentic Italy in a balanced mix of experiences, relax, adventure and learning opportunities.
In keeping with our approach to support the local economy, we employ local guides that love and know everything (or almost:-)) about Le Marche like Fabrizio (Italia Sweet Italia founder & Tour guide) for Abruzzo. The tour has been designed by Fabrizio in partnership with local suppliers committed to selecting partners, licensed tour guides and passionate people living and working in Le Marche. The result is a tour that supports small local enterprises and sustainable tourism.
The highlight of this tour is the chance to discover and experience Le Marche, a region of infinite beauty and hidden gems (we know them as “Sleeping Beauties”) in the heart of Italy. You will go back home with life-long memories and with many friends, for sure!
- Rome Fiumicino Airport pick-up at 2:30 pm and transfer to the ancient Roman town of Fano on the Adriatic Coast after crossing the green heart of Umbria through the Apennines, with its hilltop villages and vibrant colors of nature
- Check in at the family-run Hotel Angela (or similar accommodation) with seaside view and walking distance from the historical downtown
- Get to know your local tour leader Michela and/or Giulia and learn more about this 7-day cultural and local life vacation
- Walk to a traditional restaurant to enjoy a welcome dinner in the heart of Fano
After a leisurely traditional breakfast made of freshly baked bread, whole fruit country-style preserves, cake, pastries, coffee, tea and juices:
- We meet at the hotel and drive to the beautiful village of Fratte Rosa to meet farmer Rodolfo in the countryside. He is the guardian of “favetta”, a small bean vegetable, a slow food staple of Le Marche
- Next we’ll reach the hamlet Fratte Rosa to discover a small and historical bakery producing a very local biscuit “con la glassa” biscuits in syrup (homemade biscuits with icing. The biscuits tell a very special story which involves America!
- Sofia is waiting for us with a cooking lesson focused on “tacconi” (you’ll make only this pasta during this cooking section). You will learn how easy it is to make fresh pasta with 2 different kinds of flour! The best part is taking the pasta you have made, home!
- Lunch at Sofia’s traditional restaurant. Usually she and her dad Francesco, prepare fresh handmade pasta with seasonal vegetables or local meat, ragu with mushrooms and tomato sauce for example, roasted meat with lots of spices and “favetta”, pie with seasonal jam
- We take a leisurely walk along the walls of the village from where you will admire amazing landscapes of the sea and the Apennines.We will visit Daniele’s “bottega” and workshop of pottery, where you will learn of this ancient tradition attributed to the rich clay found in Fratte Rosa and surrounding areas
- We will close this rich and interesting day with a visit at the organic winery of Luca and Vittorio, two passionate siblings and their families…We tour the vineyards and cellar, and enjoy wine tasting with local products
- The evening is free for you to experience dinner on your own in Fano. After enjoying our traditional lunch and wine tasting with some food, based on our many years of experience, we know that nobody is looking for a rich dinner, so our travelers usually enjoy spending time like a local trying a simple aperitif, a gelato or a pizza. Obviously Michela and/or Giulia will suggest their favorite places
- After breakfast we’ll walk to the fish market (10’) and travel downtown where our chef for passion Ivana is waiting for us. With her, we will choose the fish to prepare the “brodetto” soup, a special fish soup of local and ancient culinary tradition of Fano. We then visit the local town market, where we will find local products such as cheese, salami, bread and pizza, seasonal fruit and vegetables. Here you’ll have the possibility to practice a little bit of Italian even if you don’t speak any of it
- Next, we’ll walk to the port to meet Andrea, a young man who hails from a family of fishermen, telling us about life on the fishing boat, and the ancient tradition of clam fishing
- Let’s taste the delicious and very traditional “vongole alla poretta” typical of Fano with a glass of local wine and drink “Moretta” at a local establishment: a bar but it is much more than a bar, where local fishermen hang out
- We travel to the hills just outside of Fano to Ivana’s country house. Are you ready to sit and taste? Show-cooking and lunch all together. The focus: “brodetto” fish soup and other delicacies. Ivana and Otello are farmers and live in a relaxing place surrounded by ancient olive-trees, vegetable gardens, and nature. Possibility to visit Otello’s centuries olive-trees
- Head back to your hotel in the afternoon. Free leisure time or the possibility to explore Fano’s historic center: Augustus’ Arch, Roman Walls, the sacred chapel Nolfi inside the Cathedral, the historical theater (outside) in Piazza XX Settembre, the lively squares and shops, with your tour leader Michela
- Dinner on your own, Michela and/or Giulia will suggest their favorite places
- After breakfast, we’ll travel to the very charming Urbino where your local guide Silvia is waiting for you to explore the ideal court of Renaissance in Italy through the history and meaning of the very ancient blue color “guado” starting from the Botanic Garden (if opened) where you can discover the plant from which this color is produced
- Next we’ll walk through the historic center of the town crossing Piazza della Repubblica, up to the Cathedral, the Ducal Palace/National Art Gallery to Alessandra who opens her home, situated in an ancient building (1544). She will tell us the origins and evolution of the Guado color, that we find in the works of art of the most important Italian Renaissance painters such as Piero della Francesca just to name one
- We will proceed with our visit to a hidden gem, a small place with its indoor walls completely covered by frescoes by Salimbeni brothers (from Marche Region) and where you can admire this color with your eyes!
- Monia, our host, will prepare lunch for us focused on local products of Urbino and the Montefeltro area: usually she proposes bread with fresh truffle, polenta with cheese cream and fresh truffle, local salami and ricotta cheese with wild and black cherries of Cantiano, very local…and of course, all paired with local wine!
- Free afternoon in Urbino where you can visit on your own: Palazzo Ducale/National Art Gallery of Marche Region, Raphael’s birthplace, or do some shopping
- Enjoy our group dinner at a local restaurant in Fano, walking distance from the hotel
- After breakfast we’ll travel to Acqualagna, a very well-known village for its production of truffles!
- Paolo, your local hunter and his dog Lilla, on a very easy walk, will guide and show you the truffle hunting among the fields and woods around Acqualagna discovering the characteristics of this special product, the utensils used, the training of dogs and …other secrets
- Visit their small workshop with Lorenzo to see how truffles are cleaned, preserved and transformed
- Lunch at Susy’s family restaurant operating for three generations, to taste her traditional recipes: usually she prepares homemade pasta with fresh truffle, eggs with fresh truffle followed by dessert prepared with truffle…full immersion day for you!
- The ancient consular, Roman Road Flaminia is waiting for you at “Gola del Furlo” a fascinating place where colors and vegetation will capture your attention immediately. Meeting with Maurizio, to discover the life of a special animal inhabiting this place for a long time: the eagle. Enjoy magic storytelling and learning a lot of interesting information about local life through the passion and knowledge of our expert and passionate historian
- Dinner on your own: Michela and/or Giulia will suggest you their favourite places
- Breakfast and free time for your own activities, which could be: going to one of the many beaches, biking, taking part in some extra activities/excursions or whatever you prefer to explore Fano
- Lunch on your own
- We travel to Sant’Ippolito where our sculptress Natalia is waiting for us. She creates Virgin Marias using sandstone; she is the ambassador of this ancient tradition of “scalpellini” stonemasons in this small and ancient village. It’s a short walk inside the ancient part of this small town to admire the amazing landscape with sloping hills toward the Adriatic Sea
- We end our afternoon and evening in a special place: Cartoceto, called the “town of the oil” where you can find “l’ oli bon”, and meet Tommaso who will guide us to visit the olive oil mill
- Last dinner together in the “osteria” of the olive oil mill in a familiar atmosphere and place up on the hills just behind Fano
After breakfast we will leave (usually at 09:00 am) for Rome Fiumicino Airport or your next destination (Rome Fiumicino is about 3,5 hours driving from Fano) so make sure to get an afternoon flight
NOTE ABOUT YOUR ITINERARY
Your Itinerary is a guide to your activities during the week. However, sometimes we modify the final itinerary to take advantage of the season and the weather. Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a fabulous time, and that sometimes means tweaking the schedule even after your arrival. Your guide will provide suggestions during the week, and the group will decide if any modifications are desired. Be assured that only enhanced experiences are ever considered.
30 April – 6 May 2023: € 1,895.00*
24-30 September 2023: € 1,895.00*
*Prices are per person and land only, with accommodation in a twin/double room with ensuite bathroom. Airfare and travel insurance are not included. Single occupancy supplement: + € 160.
During this tour you will stay at Hotel Angela*** with sea view and at walking distance from the historical downtown or similar accommodation. You can also choose to upgrade to a boutique hotel**** in front of the ancient Roman walls of Fano and the entrance to the historical downtown without sea view. Inquire Fabrizio for a quote.
Click here for exchange rate
- 6 Nights accommodation (room type Classic) at Hotel Angela*** with sea view and at walking distance from the historical downtown or similar accommodation
- Breakfast Buffet Daily
- 8 meals (food, water, house wine) in selected restaurants, private homes, based on traditional regional dishes
- 1 hands-on cooking class and 1 show-cooking and associated food costs
- 1 coffee-break at historical bakery and 1 fisherman’s aperitivo
- 1 truffle hunting with truffle dog
- Local guide to visit Urbino
- Guided visit to local artisans and artists (terracotta maker, sculpturist and guado color maker)
- Daily trips and excursions
- Pick up and drop off at Rome Fiumicino airport in an air conditioned minivan/minibus or car
- Personalized cooking booklet, apron and your homemade pasta box
- All transport for daily trips and excursions in an air conditioned minivan/minibus or car
- All entry fees for excursions, tours and wine, truffle and olive oil and local product tastings
- English-speaking tour manager throughout the duration
- All taxes except city tax
- Only 100% authentic experiences
- Deep connections with the people who live here
- We have a passion for our culture and our communities
- We promote the local culture as a sign of responsible travel
- We are focused on preserving our way of life
- We involve small, family-run and passion-driven businesses
Italia Sweet Italia (ISI) is a small incoming tour operator specialized in organizing vacations around Abruzzo Italy, our home. ISI is a fully licensed company covered by insurance policy no. 402485101 by Axa Assicurazione S.p.A. and authorised by the local government to create and sell tour packages from 2011. Our mission is to show people from all over the world the beauty of Abruzzo and other Italian regions such as Le Marche so they can experience our homeland, traditions, arts and folklore in a unique way, also demonstrating the benefits of sustainable tourism to everyone. In order to help you discover everything Abruzzo and other Italian regions have to offer, we organise small groups (up to 12 people) escorted tours including cultural, culinary, active, pottery, Italian language and ancestry experiences. We are happy to create a tailored vacation around your wishes. Our tours provide you with the rare opportunity to be invited into homes and farms, as well as into the daily lives of locals.
No, Fabrizio won’t guide this tour. There will be enthusiastic local guides who share our philosophy and we prefer to have people that love and know everything (or almost) about their region just like Fabrizio for Abruzzo. It’s best to have the knowledge of a local to appreciate all that is local. Rest assured that we designed the tour together and Fabrizio has personally met the local suppliers to make sure they share Italia Sweet Italia’s philosophy and style to create new and unique trips to support small local businesses and sustainable tourism.
For all the small group tours listed in our calendar, the pick up at Rome Fiumicino airport is planned at 2:30 pm on day 1. Normally it takes 3,5-4,5 hours to drive to Fano, our base on the Adriatic Coast. The duration of the trip depends on traffic (on Sunday, when most of our tours start, usually there is no traffic) and if you need to stop at the motor service along the way for a snack or to go to the toilette. It is a beautiful and relaxing driving crossing the green heart of Umbria through the Apennines, with its hilltop villages and vibrant colors of nature. A few weeks before the tour starts, we’ll send you a pdf with exact pick-up location and times. Please consider also this information:
- If you want you can be picked up at an Hotel in Rome, but this service has an extra cost of around € 50-100 that you can pay at your arrival. We’ll come earlier to pick you up at your accommodation (it depends on the exact location, but it is usually 1 hour before the pick-up at Rome F. Airport). Sometimes it could be also after the airport pick-up.
- When we’ll have all flights and arrival information from all the travelers, if everybody that is joining the tour is supposed to arrive before 2:30 pm, we could anticipate the pick-up time.
- You can also reach Fano or other destinations in Italy by bus or train. Please contact Fabrizio for more info.
For the drop-off to Rome we usually leave the hotel in Fano after breakfast, at around 09:00 am so that we arrive at Rome Fiumicino airport at maximum 01:30 pm (if there is traffic, but it normally takes 3,5-4,5 hours). If anybody in the group has an earlier flight, we could leave 1-2 hours before (so at 07:00-08:00) but we make our evaluations from time to time. If there is any specific need, there are also public buses that shuttle from Fano to Rome Fiumicino (or the city center) earlier in the morning and by night (take a look here). In this case we organize the taxi transfer from the hotel to Fano coach/train station (5-10 minutes driving).
Private pick-up and drop-off for group tours
Of course, we are always happy to support you to organize a private pick up/drop off only for you to let you join our small group tours listed in our calendar. Please keep in mind that a private transfer (before or after the planned one) from Fano to Rome airport or city center costs around € 450-500.
Connecting to or from another part of Italy
If you are connecting to or from another part of Italy we are happy to assist you in planning your pre and post trip connections. If your planned arrival or departure does not coincide with the specified meeting time we can assist you in booking a private transfer at an additional cost or some extra nights in Le Marche .
Once a complete booking is made you may also contact us directly for further details and assistance. We are always here to help and have the insider knowledge and on the ground support to ensure you find the best option available to arrive or depart from your tour.
Make sure to arrive at the meeting point on time but don’t get stressed
Please note that all guests joining our tours are responsible for ensuring they make it to the meeting point by 2:30 pm at Rome’s Fiumicino airport. Those who are unable to be on time will not be guaranteed a transfer from Rome to Fano and will have to seek other arrangements to participate in the remainder of the tour. Please contact Fabrizio for more info.
- Our tours are suitable for everybody that travelled enough to know that touristy vacations are just not them and long for more authentic travel, ways to truly experience the culture and people they’re visiting
- Our travellers appreciate la dolce vita and the pleasures of exquisite food, wine, and fellowship with others who share their passions
- Our guests are not afraid to take bold steps…to learn something new…to explore something completely out of the ordinary
- The minimum age for pre-arranged tours is 14 (14-18 accompanied by an adult) with no upper age limit. For tailor-made and private tours any age is fine
- Our tours are perfect for solo travellers (we don’t charge single room supplements for our 7-day tours in Abruzzo), couples, groups of friends and even families are welcomed
- Our guests don’t need to have any experience in cooking or painting or do pottery or speaking Italian to join our tours. Our experienced course tutors will soon discover your level of knowledge and will adapt their approach accordingly
All classes are taught in both Italian and English so you’ll have the opportunity to learn and practice a little bit of Italian
To book this tour with us, check availability contacting Fabrizio (fill in the form or send an e-mail to email@example.com) and go ahead with his instructions to pay by credit card. The booking becomes binding only after the payment of a 25% deposit per person and the confirmation e-mail from Italia Sweet Italia. The 75% balance has to be paid within 45 days before arrival. Tours booked less than 45 days before their start date must be paid in full.
If you prefer, you can also pay the 25% deposit and 75% balance by Bank Transfer (Italia Sweet Italia Holidays di Lucci Fabrizio, Account number: 1231254113 IBAN:
IT21R0526277910CC1231254113 SWIFT: BPPUIT33 Banca Popolare Pugliese – Società cooperative per azioni, Via XXIV Maggio, 25, 66054 Vasto (CH) – Italy. Headquarter: Via Luigi Luzzatti, 8, 73046 Matino (LE).
Before the balance is due, we’ll send you an e-mail to remind you about the payment including a link to be used in case you prefer to pay the balance by credit card.