Garnish: slices of unsalted bread, like Tuscan bread.
Cooking time: about 30 minutes (Takes a little time but it’s healthy!)
- Clean mussels thoroughly, wash and open them. Make sure they’re fresh and discard any that do not open.
Use a knife to help you. Do this operation over a bowl and save the juice from the mussels for later use.
- In a bowl mix all together the bread, eggs, parsley, garlic and the parmesan cheese.
When it’s well mixed, start with filling the mussels one by one.
- Pour the tomato sauce in a earthenware cooking pan and then add some olive oil, the sliced garlic and some chopped parsley. At the end add the sliced peppers. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Put the pan over the fire. Halfway through cooking, around 15 minutes, add the liquid from the mussels you saved before.
- Then add the stuffed mussels. Cover with a lid and let the mussels stew for 15 more minutes.
- Transfer into serving plates.
If you like sprinkle with some crushed red hot chili peppers and parsley.
…and don’t forget to cut some slices of bread and use them to soak up the sauce!
by Mamma Anna Maria
You’ll learn how to cook real traditional Italian plates in the friendly and relaxing Abruzzo