Founder & Tour Guide of Italia Sweet Italia
Founder & Tour Guide of Italia Sweet Italia
Price: € 1,875
Join us on a 7-day Italian language, cultural and culinary vacation in Abruzzo, one of the most stunning and culturally rich regions in Italy.
For anyone eager to live an immersive adventure in the Italian culture and traditions, where you really learn about food, region and people, your host and local guide Fabrizio, together with his family, friends and the local Italian Language School In Lingua, organize amazing experiences that combine passion, beautiful places and locals to show you the best of the region’s off-the-beaten-track secrets, giving the opportunity to learn and practice basic Italian. This is a fully escorted tour that will give you the insights to daily life, Italian language, food & wine, culture and production in Abruzzo and will let you discover the authentic Italy in a balanced mix of experiences, relax, adventure and learning. Everyday you’ll have a couple of hours of funny Italian language class -in different original locations, not in a school- that will introduce you to the experiences and visits that you’ll do that day or the following so that you could be fully able to interact -and practice– with the local community during our guided tours and visits that will be in Italian (we’ll speak slowly and our teacher will help you with eventual needs of translation).
To partake to this tour you do not need to speak Italian and do not worry if your level is not fresh enough, all our classes and experiences are thought for people of different levels and we will make your experiential language tour smooth and funny!
The highlight of this tour is the chance to practice Italian in a different way during authentic experiences surrounded by amazing sceneries among the mountains, the seaside and historical sites.
- Private group pick up at Rome Fiumicino Airport at 2:30 PM driving to the ancient Roman town of Vasto on the Adriatic Coastline. The ride will take us across beautiful Abruzzo mountains and National Parks through amazing landscapes filled with greenery dotted with hilltop villages and castles
- Check in at the charming and family run Hotel San Marco (or a similar accommodation) in the historical center of Vasto
- Meeting your Italian teacher/tour leader and learning more about the 7-day Italian language, cultural and culinary vacation
- Walking to a traditional restaurant to enjoy a welcome group dinner in the heart of Vasto
Enjoy each day with a leisurely traditional breakfast made of freshly baked bread, whole fruit country-style preserves, cake, pastries, coffee, tea cheeses and salami
- After breakfast we will visit an award winning winery that lies between a marine park and the mountains in Vasto. We will have our first “funny” Italian language class (a couple of hours) where we will discuss about food, olive oil, and italian wines; we will learn how to ask these information in a restaurant/bar or in any situation where you need to know how to speak in italian about food and wine. In the following day we will also visit olive oil and wine producers where we will use italian to interact directly to the owners as well as during the cooking class and the market visit in order to buy local products
- We will tour the vineyard and cellars with winemakers Emanuele and Nicola and we will then enjoy wine tasting and lunch with pairings from local cheeses and salami
- After a short break to relax, in the afternoon we will explore Vasto historical center: Loggia Amblingh, a promenade overlooking the fascinating crescent-shaped coastline, the old town with its medieval Castle, charming lanes, a tower, the Cathedral and Piazza Rossetti, dedicated to Gabriele Rossetti, a poet from the town and father of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, who founded the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
- Before having a break free timing, we will meet some local artisans or artists
- In the evening you may experience dinner on your own in one of the various restaurants of Vasto. After lunch together, based on our long years of experience, we know that nobody is looking for a rich dinner, so our travelers usually enjoy spending time like a local trying a simple aperitif, a gelato or a pizza so that you could practice some Italian by yourself. Obviously, we will suggest you our favourite places!
- We will walk and visit Vasto’s colourful market to get seasonal products. Here you will have the possibility to practice a little bit of Italian
- Next we will drive to the beautiful countryside of Vasto where we will meet Fabrizio’s family to have an exclusive cooking class with them (we will speak Italian) and we will learn how easy it is to make fresh pasta and we will be introduced to Abruzzo’s sauces preparation
- A sample menu based on Fabrizio’s family recipes includes bread with meat sauce, Pasta alla chitarra with meat sauce and polpette (meatballs) and Tarallucci (typical biscuits from Abruzzo)
- Lunch with the scrumptious dishes that we prepared in the morning, while enjoying the relaxing family atmosphere
- We will visit an Olive Grove that has been farmed by Giovanni’s family (we’ll speak in Italian) for three generations to produce DOP olive oils. He will unfurl the secrets of what Homer described as “liquid gold” and we will finish with an olive oil tasting
- In the evening you may experience dinner on your own in one of the various restaurants of Vasto
- After breakfast we will explore the famous Trabocchi coastline. We will start with a short and easy walking inside the “Punta Aderci” Nature Reserve, one of the 10 most beautiful Italian beaches- according to the British daily “The Telegraph”- from where you can also admire snow-capped mountains
- During this day, depending on the weather, we will take our Italian course (a couple of hours) right here, surrounded by nature, a relaxing atmosphere and the colours of the seaside. We will speak about Trabocchi, the seaside, the fish world, natural parks, and Mediterranean vegetation
- We will visit (in Italian) a trabocco (the symbol of the area), mostly built with acacia wood and railway iron sleepers
- Depending on the weather, Rinaldo -our host- will show us how to fish from Trabocco, the secrets and history hidden behind Abruzzo’s unique fishing platforms that have been featured in the BBC TV show: Escape to the Continent
- His wife- Maria- will prepare fish from the Adriatic Sea for our exclusive lunch above the ocean
- Free afternoon for your own activities, which could be: going to one of the beaches around, biking, taking part into some extra activities/excursions or whatever you prefer to do
- In the evening, you may experience dinner on your own in one of the various restaurants of Vasto
- After breakfast we will make our way to a farmhouse where Pina and Berardino will reveal the secrets of farming letting you immerse in an authentic slow food experience. After our Italian course (a couple of hours) in the agriturismo about rural life and medieval castles and history, you could relax in the beautiful Abruzzo countryside or taking part to some or all of these experiences:
- We will milk a cow
- We will learn how to make a special bread called “pizza scima – stupid pizza”, a pizza without yeast
- After collecting some organic wine from their winery, we will have an aperitif including a taste of their production: cheeses, salami and extra virgin olive oil
- Next we will learn how to prepare ricotta cheese
- Finally we will collect the fresh vegetables from their garden that will be used for our farm-to-table lunch
- A delicious traditional farm-to-table lunch will be prepared and served
- Almost everything we will eat is produced in the farm (wheat for producing the organic flour to make different kinds of breads, cookies and fresh pasta together with eggs from their hens, organic extra virgin olive oil, wines, liquors, juices, jams, cheeses, a lot of variety of salami, meats and vegetables)
- In the afternoon, immersed in the nature and surrounded by amazing sceneries, we will drive in the inland to explore the enchanting Abruzzo’s castle in the sky in the charming village of Roccascalegna- ranked by Condé Naste Traveler as one of the 9 Most Beautiful Hilltop Towns in Italy
- After a big lunch at the farm, in the evening you may enjoy a dinner or aperitif on your own in one of the many restaurants and wine bars of Vasto
- After breakfast we will drive to the little hilltop village of Lentella at Ettore’s “Fattoria d’Arte” (Art farm)
- Surrounded by an amazing landscape with a stunning view of the seaside, mountains, hills and small towns,we will have our last Italian language class (a couple of hours) about Italian art, flowers and plants
- Next you can enjoy an artistic experience with Ettore, which will let you create your own postcard made with natural colours produced at the moment mixing leaves and flowers that you can pick at Ettore’s property
- We will have an aperitif and a traditional farewell lunch with Ettore and his wife Barbara.
- Free time to relax and packing or for doing a “last minute” shopping
After breakfast we will leave (usually at 09:00 AM) for Rome Fiumicino Airport or for your next destination (Rome Fiumicino is about 3,5 hours driving from Vasto) so make sure to book an afternoon flight
NOTE ABOUT YOUR ITINERARY
Your Itinerary is a guide to your activities during the week. However, sometimes we modify the final itinerary to take advantage of the season and the weather. Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a fabulous time, and that sometimes means tweaking the schedule even after your arrival. Your guide will provide suggestions during the week, and the group will decide if any modifications are desired. Be assured that only enhanced experiences are ever considered.
7-13 May 2023: € 1,875.00*
15-21 October 2023: € 1,875.00*
*Prices are per person and land only, with accommodation in a twin/double room with ensuite bathroom. Airfare and travel insurance are not included. Single occupancy supplement (double room for single use): + € 120 for 6 nights.
Click here for exchange rate
- 6 Nights accommodation at Hotel San Marco in the historic centre of Vasto or similar accommodation
- Daily breakfast buffet
- 4 Italian lessons (2 hours per lesson) in different locations with a certified Italian language teacher + Italian language experiences during the tour activities
- Preliminary test and Certificate of Attendance
- Course materials
- 6 meals (food, water, house wine) in selected restaurants, a farmhouse, a private home, a winery, an art farm and a trabocco fishing hut based on traditional regional dishes. The evenings are free for you to explore the town by yourself and practicing Italian
- 2 hands-on authentic Abruzzo cooking classes and associated food costs
- Art experience with a local artist
- A farmhouse experience
- Daily trips, experiences and excursions
- Pick up and drop-off at Rome Fiumicino airport or city center on request in an air-conditioned minibus or car (transfers to and from Rome are included only if there are at least 4 participants, with fewer, we will pick you up and take you to the Vasto bus station where many buses arrive/depart from/to Rome Fiumicino or downtown, click here to find out more)
- Personalized cooking booklet and apron
- All transports for daily trips and excursions in an air-conditioned minibus or car
- All entry fees for excursions, tours and wine, olive oil and cheese tastings
- English-speaking tour manager throughout the vacation
- All taxes
During this tour you will stay at the centrally located 3* Hotel San Marco. Recently renovated, this simple but comfortable hotel provides 18 rooms with updated ensuite bathrooms, air conditioning, safe rooms, elevator, and WiFi (sometimes a comparable accommodation may be proposed).
You can also choose to upgrade to a lovely boutique residence located in the heart of Vasto. Originally an 18th-century mansion, it has been renovated into an upscale B&B with 5 bedrooms, located on the Amblingh promenade. Discover more here and inquire for a quote.
- Only 100% authentic experiences
- Deep connections with the people who live here
- We have a passion for our culture and our communities
- We promote the local culture as a sign of responsible travel
- We are focused on preserving our way of life
- We involve small, family-run and passion-driven businesses
You can come! As previously mentioned this course is adaptable to any level of Italian, including beginners! Even though your level is from zero or your Italian is not fresh enough you will still be able to live the language tour experience with us while using the “learning by doing” Inlingua methodology! Do not give up on choosing to experiment this wonderful programme because of your language level! Remember: Italian are famous around the world also for being able to use gestures to express themselves! And we will adapt the classes and workshops to any participants’ level!
Italia Sweet Italia (ISI) is a small incoming tour operator specialised in organizing vacations around Abruzzo Italy, our home. ISI is a fully licensed company covered by insurance policy no. 402485101 by Axa Assicurazione S.p.A. and authorised by the local government to create and sell tour packages from 2011.
Our mission is to show people from all over the world the beauty of Abruzzo and other Italian regions so they can experience our homeland, traditions, arts and folklore in a unique way, also demonstrating the benefits of sustainable tourism to everyone. In order to help you discover everything Abruzzo has to offer, we organise small groups (up to 12 people) escorted tours including cultural, culinary, active, pottery, Italian language and ancestry experiences. We are happy to create a tailored vacation around your wishes. Our tours provide you with the rare opportunity to be invited into homes and farms, as well as into the daily lives of locals.
No, Fabrizio won’t guide this tour, there will be enthusiastic local certified Italian language teachers that share our philosophy and will let you discover Abruzzo together with Fabrizio’s partners and family.
For all the small group tours listed in our calendar, the pick up at Rome Fiumicino airport is planned at 2:30 pm on day 1. Normally it takes 3-3,5 hours to drive to Vasto, our base on the Adriatic Coast for all the tours (except for The Abruzzo, Puglia & Matera experience tour in which we’ll drive for around 2 hours to Sulmona). The duration of the trip depends on traffic (on Sunday, when most of our tours start, usually there is no traffic) and if you need to stop at the motor service along the way for a snack or to go to the toilette. It is a beautiful and relaxing driving crossing three National parks,from where you can see many hilltop villages and the Apennines. A few weeks before the tour starts, we’ll send you a pdf with exact pick-up location and times. Please consider also this information:
- If you want you can be picked up at an Hotel in Rome, but this service has an extra cost of € 60 that you can pay at your arrival. We’ll come earlier to pick you up at your accommodation (it depends on the exact location, but it is usually 1 hour before the pick-up at Rome F. Airport). Sometimes it could be also after the airport pick-up.
- When we’ll have all flights and arrival information from all the travelers, if everybody that is joining the tour is supposed to arrive before 2:30 pm, we could anticipate the pick-up time.
- You can also reach Vasto or other destinations in Italy by bus or train. Please take a look at this page. We’ll organize the taxi transfer from/to Vasto train station (10 minutes driving) or Vasto coach station to/from the hotel in Vasto (3 minutes driving).
For the drop-off to Rome we usually leave the hotel in Vasto after breakfast, at around 09:00 am so that we arrive at Rome Fiumicino airport at maximum 01:30 pm (if there is traffic, but it normally takes 3-3,5 hours). If anybody in the group has an earlier flight, we could leave 1-2 hours before (so at 07:00-08:00) but we make our evaluations from time to time. If there is any specific need, there are also public buses that shuttle from Vasto to Rome Fiumicino (or the city center) earlier in the morning and by night (take a look here). In this case we organize the taxi transfer from the hotel to Vasto coach station (3 minutes driving).
For the drop off to Bari for The Abruzzo, Puglia & Matera experience tour, we have this program: after breakfast, we will leave (usually at 09:00) for Bari airport or your next destination (45 minutes driving from Hotel to Bari airport and 40 minutes to Bari train station). When we’ll have information from all the people who will join the tour (about their programs on that day) we’ll finalize this. If there is any specific need, we can organize a private transfer (before or after the planned one) from the hotel to Bari airport or train station that costs € 90.
Private pick-up and drop-off for group tours
Of course, we are always happy to support you to organize a private pick up/drop off only for you to let you join our small group tours listed in our calendar. Please keep in mind that a private transfer (before or after the planned one) from Vasto to Rome airport or city center costs around € 300.
Connecting to or from another part of Italy
If you are connecting to or from another part of Italy we are happy to assist you in planning your pre and post trip connections. If your planned arrival or departure does not coincide with the specified meeting time we can assist you in booking a private transfer at an additional cost or some extra nights in Vasto or Puglia.
Once a complete booking is made you may also contact us directly for further details and assistance. We are always here to help and have the insider knowledge and on the ground support to ensure you find the best option available to arrive or depart from your tour.
Make sure to arrive at the meeting point on time but don’t get stressed
Please note that all guests joining our tours are responsible for ensuring they make it to the meeting point by 2:30 pm at Rome’s Fiumicino airport. Those who are unable to be on time will not be guaranteed a transfer from Rome to Sulmona and will have to seek other arrangements to participate in the remainder of the tour. Anyway, don’t worry, there are many daily public buses that with less than € 30 connect Rome Fiumicino airport or Roma Termini coach station with Sulmona as you can see here.
- Our tours are suitable for everybody that travelled enough to know that touristy vacations are just not them and long for more authentic travel, ways to truly experience the culture and people they’re visiting
- Our travellers appreciate la dolce vita and the pleasures of exquisite food, wine, and fellowship with others who share their passions
- Our guests are not afraid to take bold steps…to learn something new…to explore something completely out of the ordinary
- The minimum age for pre-arranged tours is 14 (14-18 accompanied by an adult) with no upper age limit. For tailor-made and private tours any age is fine
- Our tours are perfect for solo travellers (we don’t charge single room supplements for our 7-day tours in Abruzzo), couples, groups of friends and even families are welcomed
- Our guests don’t need to have any experience in cooking or painting or do pottery or speaking Italian to join our tours. Our experienced course tutors will soon discover your level of knowledge and will adapt their approach accordingly
All classes are taught in both Italian and English so you’ll have the opportunity to learn and practice a little bit of Italian
To book this tour with us, check availability contacting Fabrizio (fill in the form or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) and go ahead with his instructions to pay by credit card. The booking becomes binding only after the payment of a 25% deposit per person and the confirmation e-mail from Italia Sweet Italia. The 75% balance has to be paid within 45 days before arrival. Tours booked less than 45 days before their start date must be paid in full.
If you prefer, you can also pay the 25% deposit and 75% balance by Bank Transfer (Italia Sweet Italia Holidays di Lucci Fabrizio, Account number: 1231254113 IBAN:
IT21R0526277910CC1231254113 SWIFT: BPPUIT33 Banca Popolare Pugliese – Società cooperative per azioni, Via XXIV Maggio, 25, 66054 Vasto (CH) – Italy. Headquarter: Via Luigi Luzzatti, 8, 73046 Matino (LE).
Before the balance is due, we’ll send you an e-mail to remind you about the payment including a link to be used in case you prefer to pay the balance by credit card.
On a typical day there could be 0.5-2 hours (some days even few minutes) of slow and light walking (with stops to see monuments, churches, piazzas, historical sites and so on, not hiking). Anyway, in every location if you feel tired and don’t want to walk too much, we’ll be happy to give you suggestions to stop to wait for the rest of the group in a nice bar or location in a nice piazza or a bench to enjoy the Italian atmosphere.